Z SoccerChic9: An Everyday Hero
Wednesday, September 27, 2006
Today as I was waiting for my luggage to come off the plane, I couldn't help but notice two American soldiers standing in front of me. The first soldier was most likely 40, and looked to be healthy and in shape - the second soldier looked like he was just 18, and it was obvious that he had been injured. It looked like he had lost both of his feet, his hand was missing a few fingers and looked to be burned. I watched as his mother came breezing across the terminal with a wheelchair and another soldier, and kept exclaiming excitedly that she was so happy to be with her boys again.

What struck me the most though, was how people reacted to these soldiers. Random people across the airport were coming up to them and shaking their hands while thanking them, a random man walked across the terminal and pressed some money into the mother's hand. I felt a strong sense of community.

The war against terrorism has been controversial from the start. There are as many different viewpoints as their are people. Bush has been criticized and supported for the decision he made. But what struck me today as I watched these soldiers and the people around them was this:

These men, I am sure, had an opinion on the war. They could be supporting the war on terrorism, or perhaps they thought it was a ridiculous thing to be fighting. Yet, all opinions were laid to the side, and they did what they had sworn they would do: Pick up their guns and fight when they were told to protect their country. They are risking their lives to protect the thing that they love.

On behalf of countries everywhere, thank you to our troops, and your brave efforts to protect your countries.
 
This template is called "Living the Dream", a modification of "The Light : The Sound". (c) 2005 Daniel Josph Xhan. Use and modify at your own discretion.