Z SoccerChic9: Where have all the good guys gone?
Thursday, July 05, 2007
I used to be naive and delusional; then again I think most people can look in their past and say that about some point of their life. Sometimes I like to think that delusion was just being untouched by the world. We seem to think that the older we get, the more realistic we get, and I think it should be the other way around. I think the sense of humour, and delusion that we had as a child would serve us much better as an adult.

All that to say, I used to have high dreams of what I wanted in a guy. Now, I can hear you groaning already and thinking "All we need is another post from a bitter little princess who didn't get what she wanted in life."

I never was one of those girls who at five-years old was planning her wedding. To be honest, I don't really care what my wedding looks like; I just consider those minor details. I wasn't/am not one of those girls who wanted to get married as soon as she finished high school. I always thought that married by 30 was an appropriate age.

I used to want a guy that shared my faith, was responsible, a leader, had a sense of vision and ambition, good with kids, was able to carry a conversation (other then what was under the hood of the latest car), respected woman (none of this chick shopping and rating while with a girl), cared for people around him, passionate about life, patient, stubborn (my dad said it well, when he said I would need a guy more stubborn then me, or I would run him over), a protector, mature, but with the ability to act like a five-year-old at times, funny, someone I could talk to for hours, and so forth.

I mean, I thought these were fairly regular things to wish for in a man. I didn't think I was being completely unreasonable in my requests....sure there was the small points that I wanted him to keep my car full of gas and running, make salads, pack for me any time I had a trip, and have my car warm in the winter (building a garage counts). But, I would do everything else - just those four things that I really wanted :)

However, I am learning that it's best to be realistic when it comes to one's expectations of a man, and so, I am currently considering myself blest, if I end up with a guy who doesn't have five heads, is not a serial killer, does not have 44 1/2 children from his last 10 marriages, is not older then my dad with children my age (yes, I was asked out by a 43-year-old last week), is not the type of guy to honk and whistle at me when driving (truckers in rush hour traffic - not the best of gentlemen I've realized), does not come from Turkey (the land of boys who would date a garbage can if it had a chest), or have a criminal record longer then his arm.

I don't ask for much...but apparently I have high expectations...and they wonder why I want to be a nun.

So friends, my question remains...where have all the good guys gone. I am not bitter or cynical, though quite sarcastic most days...I've just resigned myself to the fact that nundom seems like a very attractive offer, not to mention, I get to wear a burka 24/7. No worries about bad hair days, or what to pull out of the closet.

For the rest of you, who have decided to brave the wild untamed world of boys...I wish you the best of luck. I'll hold your hand when it doesn't work, and read "Paper Bag Princess" by Robert Munch to you, when some boy breaks your heart. For those of you who survived the wild unknown...cherish what you have, it's a rare thing.

Labels: ,

 
This template is called "Living the Dream", a modification of "The Light : The Sound". (c) 2005 Daniel Josph Xhan. Use and modify at your own discretion.