Z SoccerChic9: Control
Thursday, February 01, 2007
I am starting to realize that often addictions, negative behaviours or attitudes can depend on control. Now, this might seem like a little bit of a strange statement, I mean we don't normally attribute an addiction to a control issue. Yet, as I look in my own life, and those around me, I realize that the times when my addictions/negative behaviours/attitudes are at their worst, is when I feel like I am losing control in other parts of my life.

I do believe that we are people meant to function in a world that makes logical sense and has a sense of balance and control to it. Most people function best on a regular schedule, or when knowing that certain things are going to happen. We seem to be less stressed out when we are going through a daily routine that is familiar to us.

Yet, when mayhem hits our life, we often seem to grasp for the thing we can control the most, whether it be an eating disorder, a relationship, drinking too much, abusing pills, or whatever your weakness may be.

It's like we can comfort ourselves by controlling at least that area of our life, thus feeling like we still control it all. The problem being, that we often abuse that control (addiction, negative behaviour, or attitude) in over to overcompensate for the rest of our life being in complete upheaval.

Perhaps I am completely off, but that is my observation today.

Labels:

 
This template is called "Living the Dream", a modification of "The Light : The Sound". (c) 2005 Daniel Josph Xhan. Use and modify at your own discretion.